Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

St. Patrick's Day

Kia Ora

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on 17  March. 

St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. He came from a family of priests. At 16 years old, he was kidnapped from Britain and brought to Ireland. He looked after sheep. When he was lonely he prayed to God. After he was saved, he studied to be a priest. He  later become a Bishop. He worked in Ireland for 40 years telling people about God.  People believed that he drove out all the snakes from Ireland. He died on 17 March 461. St. Patrick used the shamrock to help people understand God. People wear green and shamrocks on 17 March.

On St. Patrick's Day, people eat  cabbage, corned beef, potatoes and soda bread. 

People also go to church on that day. Some countries colour their rivers and ponds green on St. Patrick's Day. The first St. Patrick's Day celebration was in New York 1762. 

The leprechaun is also mentioned during St. Patrick's Day. He is a magical person that sits on a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If we catch him, he will give us all the gold.

Would you like to meet a leprechaun?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post